Tuesday, May 31, 2011

He held her hand like it was a mystery, one he couldn't quite believe was walking with him.

So, this weekend was quite an interesting one. I left town to go to a weekend long party (I want to say family reunion, in a way, because these people are like family.) I found out the night before I left that my ex-boyfriend would be there. Not just any ex-boyfriend, mind you, not the one that smoked too much or the one with the crazy wife and now two children or the one that I actually still talk to. He was the one that didn't want to call me his girlfriend because he thought labels complicated things (which is code for "I want an excuse to cheat on you, with multiple girls.") I could list the laundry list of why he was a mistake, but who really wants to hear me complain about him anymore.

Was I going to let the "d-bag deluxe" (as he was so lovingly named by my friend Ken) ruin my weekend of seeing my boyfriend and some of my favorite people? Of course not. Still, I was so terrified that something would go wrong, that fights would break out or I would end up throwing up on the beach like Carrie did in that episode where they go to the Hamptons and she sees Big for the first time, that I felt nauseous. I couldn't sleep, no matter how much everyone assured me things would be fine.

Luckily for me, I had an excellent time and he only showed up for a few hours. When he did show up, I didn't puke, but I did leave the room so he wouldn't see me mildly hyperventilate. Once calm, I came back in the room. He awkwardly hugged me (which I was really not okay with but I kept my mouth shut) and said hi, and introduced himself to my boyfriend. My boyfriend laughed (thankfully when DD was out of earshot) and said, "really, you dated HIM? That guy? Why would you do that?"

I never thought I would see him again, and I was not happy to see him this time. Still, I'm glad I did. It finally gave me the closure I needed. Now my boyfriend understands exactly what I mean when I say I totally traded up. And I know that my ex is just some dumb kid that tried to ruin my life. I'm so glad Christopher picked up my pieces and put them back together so well. <3

It's amazing how, when faced with the one person that hurt you most in your life, you can still face him when surrounded by people you love. Even though some of the people backing me up I barely knew, I felt really loved.

So moral of the story? Worrying about things is just a waste of time, and things rarely will be as bad as you expect.

I love my falconfamily <3
-G

I heard our song on my iTunes this morning, and was able to remember the good times again. Still, your face looks better in this picture. Have a nice live, jerkwad.

No comments:

Post a Comment